Task Force Introduction
The role of the West Hollywood Housing Element Task Force is to provide expert-level input on how the City’s programs, regulations, and processes can best meet the upcoming RHNA (Regional Housing Needs Allocation) number. The task force will also provide opportunities for community representatives to review and contribute to defining and confirming new housing goals, policies, and programs to ensure the draft plan reflects the community’s needs.
The task force encompasses ten total representatives, which includes two representatives that were appointed by each of the five City Council members. Taskforce selection took place during the City Council session on December 21, 2020. Below is the list of task force members, including their job titles and the name of the Councilmember who appointed them.
- Craig Berberian, Empire, Multi-family Property Owner (Appointed by Councilmember Horvath)
- Angie Brooks, FAIA Principal, (Appointed by Councilmember Horvath)
- Chelsea Byers, Abundant Housing, CM (Appointed by Councilmember Erickson)
- William Korchek, AECOM (Appointed by Councilmember Meister)
- Adam Kroll, Executive Recruiter and Community Activist, (Appointed by Councilmember Erickson)
- Sheila Lightfoot, Former West Hollywood Planning Commissioner, (Appointed by Councilmember Meister)
- Marianne Lowenthal, Combined, Market Rate Developer (Appointed by Councilmember D’Amico)
- Mike Manville, Urban Planning Professor, UCLA, and West Hollywood Resident (Appointed by Councilmember D’Amico)
- Barry Talley, Architect/Director of Design, (Appointed by Councilmember Shyne)
- Dawn Collette Williams, Land Use Consultant, (Appointed by Councilmember Shyne)
The task force will meet two times total during the community outreach program.
Meeting One: The objective of the first meeting will be to gather specific feedback on current housing needs and conditions as well as input on the effectiveness of existing housing goals, policies, and programs. The first meeting is scheduled to occur on February 1, 2021.
Meeting Two: The objective of the second meeting will be to review preliminary goals, policies, and programs for the administrative draft of the Housing Element Update. The second meeting will be tentatively scheduled for summer 2021.
All information gathered will influence the Housing Element Update and can be presented as a memo to the City Council.